Monday 29 February 2016

Brazilian Planalto


Hey everybody, what are you drinking? I’m Roger In Coffee and welcome to Coffee Cup.   This week I’d like to spill the beans on the Planalto from Brazil.

This review is based on a 250g whole bean package of “Brazilian Planalto” from Pact Coffee, prepared as two-shot espresso and two shot americano using an Aeropress coffee maker.

The Planaltos espresso has an initial berry hit that is a little sharp, like cherries that are still a fraction pink and this contrast adds to the complexity and fills out the flavour.  The main flavour is deep and booming but not overly earthy.  There aren’t many apparent floral, honey, high notes. The Planalto is all about the bass. The aftertaste is short, and fades away leaving you wanting more.

I always like to try an Americano with a new coffee. Often some of the subtle character is overpowered by the espresso and adding water can reveal higher flavours and bring the drink to life.
At americano strength I also found the Planalto very drinkable, there are small peaks in the flavour but nothing that overpowers the senses. I found I prefered a strong americano which I made by adding just a dash of hot water to the espresso rather than filling a cup, but the weaker drink didn’t suffer and a 10 or 12 oz Americano will work just fine.

The Crema remained dark for all of the regular drinks I made, which might suggest I was under extracting slightly.
Cold Filtering made a great drink, and added to the strength without creating a bitter finish. In a cold filter, you will use a coarser grind and the drink to brew slowly. I actually used warm water - around 45’C (113’F) - but you can go down to room temperature or below if you want to. I found the aftertaste flatter and lasted longer, which wasn't entirely objectionable but didn't add enough for me to push a hard-sell on cold filtering.

In an unusual twist I enjoyed the espresso with some delicious smoked chorizo, and following that can recommend the Planalto as a breakfast coffee.  If you are looking for sweet rather than savory, woody flavours like hazelnut or almond will subtly bolster its strengths. I expected to be able to bring up the top end with a dash of vanilla but I found that it flattened the flavour out and the aftertaste it added didn’t do it justice. Always follow your nose and pick flavours that hit the spot.

Since the Planalto is a mix of subtle flavours, it’s a great drinker that doesn’t overpower the palate and accepts a lot of flavours. I’d expect all of your favorite coffee biscuits or wafers to work well and while anything too creamy will cut into its flavour it’ll manage a range of cakes too.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Planalto. I’d expected to find it overly flat and earthy but was pleased it had such a fruity body. It was a great drinker that you can have easily in large portions.

I’ve been Roger in Coffee, and this has been a review of the Planalto from Brazil. In the 21st century we are drinking over two billion cups of coffee a day. I'm doing my part, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment